Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Very Busy "Break"

        "Motivation is everything.  You can do the work of two people, but you can't be two people.  Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people."
-Lee Iacocca

       Spring Break is already over!  While I was glad to get away from the stresses of midterms, I knew I had plenty to keep me busy at home.  On Friday, March 1st, I gave a presentation in my public speaking class and immediately following, was swept off to the airport!  There's never a dull moment.  It was so nice to see my family (& of course, my puppy)!
       The morning after I arrived home, I visited The Royal Court, a gown shop in Marlton, to get some ideas for my Miss New Jersey competition gown. I normally take a long time deliberating about any decision I make, but this time there was no question. I am happy to announce that I have officially purchased my evening gown!
       That very same day, I secured something even more exciting--my little stars!!  Two beautiful young ladies, Olivia and Brooke, agreed to be my stars for the Miss New Jersey pageant.  They are so excited to be featured in the parade and during evening wear modeling, but I can't wait to get them involved in my year of service as Miss Eastern Shore!  I envision plenty of tea parties and dress up days :)

Both of these lovely ladies dance at Tricia Sloan Dance Center (the same studio I attended & where I continue to train today)!  They were some of my biggest fans when I was Dorothy in my high school production of
"The Wizard of Oz." 
I know they'll continue to be my biggest fans on my quest to becoming Miss New Jersey!
Love you girls!!
             
    Since being home for break, I've also been taking lots of adult fitness classes at Tricia Sloan Dance Center.  It feels so odd to take "adult" classes where I grew up dancing!  The teachers there have definitely helped me get myself in gear.  I'm also looking forward to taking part in my first mock interview as a "Miss" contestant.  I'm so lucky to have been blessed with a great group of directors that care so deeply about their "shore girls." I was able to see some of the shore titleholders and lots of other fellow Miss New Jersey contestants at a few local pageants over break as well!  Congratulations to the tiny, little, pre-teen, and Outstanding Teen Miss Cape Resort titleholders!  Also, congratulations to Venessa Baez, the new Miss Stars and Stripes, and Madison Welsh, the new Miss Stars and Stripes Outstanding Teen!
The "Miss" titleholders at Miss Stars and Stripes

My best friend of 15 years, Britt, and I went to Centre City school where the pageant was held, from Kindergarten to the fourth grade!

       I was thrilled to have the opportunity to visit a Children's Specialized Hospital this week!  My pageant sister, Anna Negron, and I sat in the lobby of the hospital and played with the children as they waited for their appointments!  It was awesome to see their initial nervousness disappear as we colored and played games. 
This little one and I had a great time coloring.  She was too cute :)

       To wrap up my break, I had lots of crayons to sanitize and deliver for "Color My World."  CMW is an organization that started collecting recycled crayons to clean and donate back to shelters and low budget schools.  I've joined their plight in teaming up with a local restaurant to collect crayons used with their kids' menus!  So far I've collected about 150 pounds.  I invited my little stars over to help me use a UV sanitation wand to get them cleaned up and ready to donate!  We had a great time...I hope Brooke and Olivia continue to help me out with service projects and start them on their own in the future!!
Here the girls are laying out the crayons and after they covered the table, they took turns using the UV sanitation wand!  They were a HUGE help :)

       It feels awesome to have things coming into place! I'm eager to stay busy in my academic life, and now in my pageant life. Let the Miss New Jersey preparation continue :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment